Noughts And Crosses By Malorie Blackman

Thursday 8 December 2011


Hello everyone, yes yet another review. My friend (Hi) asked me to review Noughts and Crosses so I am.  Noughts and Crosses is quite a complicated and intriguing novel about a divided society. There is the Noughts and the Crosses. Sephy is a Cross, a member of the dark-skinned higher class. They can have what ever they want. Callum is a Nought, a member of the 'colourless' lower class. They have no rights.

Noughts and Crosses is a tragic story about love, loss and justice. Callum and Sephy have been best friends since they were children but what happens when that friendship turns to love? Noughts and Crosses explores the relationship between a Romeo and Juliet style couple in a world when love is unimportant. If you need more details here is the synopsis:

"Sephy is a Cross - a member of the dark-skinned ruling class. Callum is a nought - a 'colourless' member of the underclass who were once slaves to the Crosses. The two have been friends since early childhood. But that's as far as it can go. Until the first steps are taken towards more social equality and a limited number of Noughts are allowed into Cross schools...Against a background of prejudice and distrust, intensely highlighted by violent terrorist activity by Noughts, a romance builds between Sephy and Callum - a romance that is to lead both of them into terrible danger..."

I thought that Noughts and Crosses was a highly fascinating and realistic read. It highlighted some issues that still happen around our world today. It explores racism and prejudice in depth and really shows us what our world could be like today if we let it be. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes an intense read and stories about forbidden love. I would rate this book 4.5/5 stars. I hope you enjoyed my review.
My favorite quote:
"‘Just remember, Callum when you’re floating up and up in your bubble, that bubbles have a habit of bursting. The higher you climb, the further you have to fall’"
E-mail me at: confessionsofabookaholic@LIVE.CO.UK

3 People dared to comment.:

Hannah said...

Hi!!! I'm famous!!! well as famous i will ever be - LOL. Thanks for revewing noughts and crosses. Please can you review the "i'd tell you i love you but then i would have to kill you" series pleeeeeese!!! And that does mean you have to read them ALL!!!

Emily said...

Fine Hannah I will finish the series and then review it for you. Only because it's you Haha! Might be a wait though as i will have to actually read all of the books, I've only read the first one. Cya soon Hannah!

Anonymous said...

good

Post a Comment

Hey there, let me know what you think of my post, I try to reply every comment I get so do check back.

Note: This blog is an award free zone, you commenting and following is reward enough!

Blog contents © Confessions Of A Bookaholic 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.