City Of Glass By Cassandra Clare

Sunday 17 June 2012


City of Glass (The Mortal Instruments, #3)
Cover Rating: 3/5 Stars
Overall Rating: 4.5/5 Stars
Synopsis: To save her mother's life, Clary must travel to the City of Glass, the ancestral home of the Shadowhunters -- never mind that entering the city without permission is against the Law, and breaking the Law could mean death. To make things worse, she learns that Jace does not want her there, and Simon has been thrown in prison by the Shadowhunters, who are deeply suspicious of a vampire who can withstand sunlight. As Clary uncovers more about her family's past, she finds an ally in mysterious Shadowhunter Sebastian. With Valentine mustering the full force of his power to destroy all Shadow-hunters forever, their only chance to defeat him is to fight alongside their eternal enemies. But can Downworlders and Shadowhunters put aside their hatred to work together? While Jace realizes exactly how much he's willing to risk for Clary, can she harness her newfound powers to help save the Glass City -- whatever the cost?


City Of Glass is very difficult for me to review because the first half of it really bored me. I know I didn't know a Cassandra Clare book could bore someone either but alas it did. So you would think I would give it a low rating but two things stop me from doing that. One I love Cassie Clare and just could not do that and two the second half of the book was amazing! So what is one to do? I gave the first part 4 stars and the second 5 so for the overall rating I used the middle number so 4.5 stars it is. So now that dilemma is over I can get to the actual review. City Of Glass was set in Idris, home of the Shadowhunters. I did quite like Idris, it was richly described and sounded like a haven. Clary is determined to go to Idris but Jace doesn't want her too, protective much? And then Simon is accidentally taken as well and put into prison. I mean is that guy having bad luck or what?

The characters seemed very different in this book to the previous two. Jace who I've loved all through it took on a bit of a cruel streak and in one conversation with Alec I just wanted to strangle him. He redeemed himself later but that still bugged me. Clary seemed slightly more annoying but still not bad, her bravery makes up for it. Simon I'm still not keen on but he is okay. I have to say though that Alec and Magnus stole the show. I just love Alec and he seemed braver in this one which I liked, and when Jace was being VERY mean to him I was half expecting him to burst into tears but he didn't which shows just how much he's grown. Magnus is just awesome, enough said. Also be prepared for some Malec moments! The new character Sebastian annoyed me from the start but I can't say all that much about him.

Overall I really did love the second half but the fourth book has floated down to the bottom of my pile so it may be a while before I read it. I'm hoping the next is a little faster than this one and we get to see more of Alec and Magnus. I have to say they're my favorite characters at the moment. Sorry Jace. I would recommend this series to everyone, it's just that good!

My Favorite Quote (SLIGHTLY SPOILERISH BUT I COULDN'T RESIST!!):


“You never called me back," he said. "I called you so many times and you never called me back."
Magnus looked at Alec as if he'd lost his mind. "Your city is under attack," he said. "The wards have been broken, and the streets are full of demons. And you want to know why I haven't called you?"
Alec set his jaw in a stubborn line. "I want to know why you haven't called me back."
Magnus threw his hands up in the air in a gesture of utter exasperation. Alec noted with interest that when he did it, a few sparks escaped from his fingertips, like fireflies escaping from a jar. "You're an idiot."
"Is that why you haven't called me? Because I'm an idiot?"
"No." Magnus strode toward him. "I didn't call you because I'm tired of you only wanting me around when you need something. I'm tired of watching you be in love with someone else - someone, incidentally, who will never love you back. Not the way I do."
"You love me?"
"You stupid Nephilim," Magnus said patiently. "Why else am I here? Why else would I have spent the past few weeks patching up all your moronic friends every time they got hurt? And getting you out of every ridiculous situation you found yourself in? Not to mention helping you win a battle against Valentine. And all completely free of charge!”



Email me at: confessionsofabookaholic@LIVE.CO.UK

0 People dared to comment.:

Post a Comment

Hey there, let me know what you think of my post, I try to reply every comment I get so do check back.

Note: This blog is an award free zone, you commenting and following is reward enough!

Blog contents © Confessions Of A Bookaholic 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.