Paranormalcy By Kiersten White

Wednesday 1 August 2012


Paranormalcy (Paranormalcy, #1)Cover Rating: 5/5 Stars - It's Gorgeous!
Overall Rating: 5/5 Stars
Synopsis: Weird as it is working for the International Paranormal Containment Agency, Evie's always thought of herself as normal. Sure her best friend is a mermaid, her ex-boyfriend is a faerie, she's falling for a shape-shifter, and she's the only person who can see through paranormals' glamours, but still. Normal. Only now Paranormals are dying, and Evie's dreams are filled with haunting voices and mysterious prophecies. She soon realizes that there may be a link between her abilities and the sudden rash of deaths. Not only that, but she may very well be at the center of a dark faerie prophecy promising destruction to all paranormal creatures.
So much for normal.

I really wasn't expecting to love this book so much! I didn't buy it because I really wanted to read it. I was in my book shop and it was 3 for 2 on all books - great right? - and I had two books I wanted but couldn't find a third. I loved Paranormalcy's cover and I vaguely remembered hearing about it is I grabbed it. I had no idea what it was about but the cover really is stunning. The book initially seems like quite a fluffy read but it's really not. The moment I read the first page I was hooked. Need more convincing?

“Wait- did you-- You just yawned!” The vampire’s arms , raised over his head in the classic Dracula pose, dropped to his sides. He pulled his exaggerated white fangs back behind his lips. “What, imminent death isn’t exciting enough for you?”
“Oh, stop pouting. But, really, the widow’s peak? The pale skin? The black cape? Where did you even get that thing, a costume store?” 

If that doesn't make you race to your closest book shop I don't know what will!

Okay I'm only going to say this once so listen up - I loved Evie! Yes my favorite character in a book was actually the female lead. She was clever and frankly hilarious. I loved some of her reactions to the most simple things. It shows just how normal she is, she wanted all the things that she hadn't been able to have while working for the IPCA. Evie was very lonely and sad some of the time but those human emotions are what a lot of Young Adult books miss. Lend was also a really good character. He was a normal teenager like Evie except he actually has had all the thing's Evie missed. He was an awesome contrast to Evie and their characters fit together so well. Other characters like Lish and Raquel  were so well developed you began to get to know them individually even though they weren't in the book that often. One character I despised was Reth, the ex. He was a repulsive creature but at the same time he was intriguing so I suppose I can't fault the author on that.

Overall this book was fast paced with twists and turns that are so unexpected that they leave you thinking about them long after they've been and gone. It has a badass female lead so no disappointments there. This is a new favorite of mine and I'm about to log onto Amazon as we speak to get myself the second one. I would recommend this book to people who love a fast paced plot and a kickass heroine. Don't take my word for it? Just look at the amount of well known authors who love it, I was surprised there were so many!

My Favorite Quote (and trust me this is one of many!):
“Yes, I have a driver's license."
I leaned back against the wall, sighing. "Man, that must be so cool."
"It ranks right up there with lockers. In fact, sometimes I put my license inside my locker, and it's so cool I worry that the whole thing might explode with the sheer coolness of it all.” 

3 People dared to comment.:

Michael Cargill said...

New blog design rating: 5
Overall blog rating: 5

Synopsis: Hi, My name is Emily. I'm from England, yep I'm a British lass. But just so you know I never use the word lass, I have no clue why I wrote it there actually. Anyway... I'm a self professed Bookaholic and I'm also a music freak.


Review: Although not particularly skilled at Wordfeud, Emily knows how to put together a top-notch book blog.

She's quite handy with being a Goodreads modmin, too.

Elisa said...

I have been looking at this book wondering if I would like it and now I MUST get it. Thanks for the great review! :)

Emily said...

Great review Michael! :D

Post a Comment

Hey there, let me know what you think of my post, I try to reply every comment I get so do check back.

Note: This blog is an award free zone, you commenting and following is reward enough!

Blog contents © Confessions Of A Bookaholic 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.