The Unbecoming Of Mara Dyer By Michelle Hodkin

Friday 17 August 2012

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #1)Cover Rating: 4/5 Stars
Overall Rating: 5/5 Stars
Synopsis: Mara Dyer doesn’t think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there. It can. She believes there must be more to the accident she can’t remember that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed. There is. She doesn’t believe that after everything she’s been through, she can fall in love. She’s wrong. After Mara survives the traumatizing accident at the old asylum, it makes sense that she has issues. She lost her best friend, her boyfriend, and her boyfriend’s sister, and as if that weren’t enough to cope with, her family moves to a new state in order to give her a fresh start. But that fresh start is quickly filled with hallucinations—or are they premonitions?—and then corpses, and the boundary between reality and nightmare is wavering. At school, there’s Noah, a devastatingly handsome charmer who seems determined to help Mara piece together what’s real, what’s imagined—and what’s very, very dangerous.

I had been hearing all kinds of things about this book both good and bad. I left it on my shelf for a while but after a friend read and loved it I decided to put it to the top of the list. I'm glad I did. The synopsis doesn't tell you much about the story which is why I was surprised when I began reading it. Though I understand why the synopsis is so vague because if it was more specific then the book would be ruined. the mystery aspect is vital. The premise of the book is genius and the execution of it is just as good.

I loved nearly all the characters. Mara was so... human. She reacted like most people would to stressing, impossible situations. Proper human reactions whereas characters like Bella Swan react like soulless dolls. I also loved how she didn't fall for the hot bad boy straight away. She was actually suspicious of him until she saw how good a guy he was. Speaking of hot bad boy I loved Noah! He was witty, British and he reads! The moment I find out a guy reads they go right up in my expectations - yes Will is right up there. I really liked Mara's brother Daniel, he was the whole 'I'm your big brother so I will do what's best for you while making you work for it' kinda guy. It really made me want a brother. Although he wasn't in it all that much Mara's only friend Jamie was a huge favorite of mine. He was weird but hugely loyal.

Overall The Unbecoming Of Mara Dyer was a stunning, haunting and somewhat creepy first book in a very promising series. I can't wait for the second book! I would recommend this to people who like supernatural, psychological  'make you think till your brain explodes' type of books. By the end of the book I was beyond confused so I am really hoping that's cleared up in the next book. This is a new favorite of mine.

My Favorite Quote:
“Wait," I said as Noah slipped a book from a shelf and headed toward the door. "Where are you going?"
"To read."
But I don't want you to.
"But I need to go home," I said, my eyes meeting his. "My parents are going to kill me."
"Taken care of. You're at Sophie's house."
I loved Sophie.
"So I'm...staying here?"
"Daniel's covering for you."
I loved Daniel.
"Where's Katie?" I asked, trying to sound casual.
"Eliza's house."
I loved Eliza.
"And your parents?" I asked.
"Some charity thing."
I loved charity.
"So why are you going to read when I'm right here?”

Email me at: confessionsofabookaholic@LIVE.CO.UK

6 People dared to comment.:

Bo said...

You know, sometimes I really hate reading reviews. I keep finding books that sound interesting and worth looking it to, which usually results in me purchasing said books, thus adding to my ever growing pile of books to read when I don't have enough time as it is to read the things I already own.
Great review, I now have to check this one out.
Thanks!
Tammy @ http://bosbooknook.blogspot.com/

ShadyLane said...

GReat review now i want to read this book just to find put what the mystery is. Found you on goodreads!
follower! I'd love it if you stopped by my blog and checked it out. feedback is always appreciated!

http://thecrossbreeds.blogspot.com/

bookworm105 said...

Awesome review! I agree that the synopsis of the book is so vague. I couldn't see what was coming when i read this.

Lol. That was one of my fave quote as well. :)

Elisa said...

Wondeful review! I still really have no idea what the heck is going on, but I really want to read the book :)

Anonymous said...

We're a group of volunteers and starting a new scheme in our community. Your website provided us with valuable information to work on. You'νe donе
a foгmіdable jοb anԁ оur whole
communіtу ωill be grаtеful to yοu.
My page :: short term loans for bad credit

Anonymous said...

Hi і am kavin, its my first occasion to commenting anywhere, when i reаd this аrticle
i thought i cοulԁ also cгeate cоmment
due to this senѕiblе рost.
Feel free to surf my site ... loans for bad credit

Post a Comment

Hey there, let me know what you think of my post, I try to reply every comment I get so do check back.

Note: This blog is an award free zone, you commenting and following is reward enough!

Blog contents © Confessions Of A Bookaholic 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.