The Iron Daughter By Julie Kagawa

Monday 24 September 2012

The Iron Daughter (The Iron Fey, #2)Series: The Iron Fey #2
Genre: Young Adult, Paranormal Romance, Faeries
Release Date: August 1st 2010
Source: Bought
Overall Rating: 3/5 Stars
Cover Rating: 3/5 Stars
Synopsis: Half Summer faery princess, half human, Meghan has never fit in anywhere. Deserted by the Winter prince she thought loved her, she is prisoner to the Winter faery queen. As war looms between Summer and Winter, Meghan knows that the real danger comes from the Iron fey—ironbound faeries that only she and her absent prince have seen. But no one believes her. Worse, Meghan's own fey powers have been cut off. She's stuck in Faery with only her wits for help. Trusting anyone would be foolish. Trusting a seeming traitor could be deadly. But even as she grows a backbone of iron, Meghan can't help but hear the whispers of longing in her all-too-human heart.

I really want to love this series. I mean everyone loves this series! I just can't though. I tried my hardest and I think I liked it better than the last but I still don't love it. I was really disappointed that this series isn't as good as everyone says for me. Anyway the story follows on from the last where Ash is keeping the bargain and taking Meghan back to the Winter Court. Once there he begins to give her the silent treatment. Meghan's powers have mysteriously gone walkies too so she's well and truly stuck as long as the Winter faerie queen wants her for. That may be a while.

The characters in this book are so temperamental it's difficult to decide whether or not I like them. Meghan is just very annoying, she comes across very spoiled and not very clever. The synopsis totally mislead me with the words 'wits' and 'backbone', I actually thought she may have developed those two things since the last book. I was wrong. Okay maybe I am a bit harsh, she's bearable I suppose. I was hot and cold with Ash. I quite liked him in the first book and he was alright in this one but I know his type. The cold, depressed, you're-better-off-without-me kind of guy. If I had a penny for the amount of characters in books that said the girl would be better without them but still pursued the romance I'd be a millionaire. One character I've always loved is Puck. He is hilarious, sweet and he loves Meghan way more than Ash AND he's upfront about it. Seriously I am team Puck all the way... that is unless Grim has a team. But that would be weird - since he's a cat. A talking cat! No Grim is by far the most awesome character plus he's not in love with Meghan (yay!).

One thing I do love about these books is the world building. The Nevernever is by far one of the most well built story worlds I've ever come across so I can't fault the author on that. The story begins slow for the first 7/8 chapters until Puck and Grim appear, then the party begins! There were several unexpected twists and the book it's self is entertaining and not as creepy as the last one. I would recommend this book to people who enjoy the Faerie genre or want a twist on it.

My Favorite Quote: 
“Wow, icy reception here. And to think I came back from the dead for this."

Email me at: confessionsofabookaholic@LIVE.CO.UK

6 People dared to comment.:

Bookluvrs Haven said...

I have to say that I am part of the masses that totally fell in love with this series. But not everyone falls in love with the same books which is great! Because then we have hundreds and thousands of great books that are all different from each other.

I was skeptical because I never really read anything that had to do with 'Fey' beings and wasn't sure how I was going to receive it, but I loved all the characters and some of the quirky statements in the book, such as the one you quoted above.

I haven't read the Iron Daughter yet, but I hope to soon.

Thank you for the review!It's always nice to read other opinions. :) And I may share it once I read the second book. My opinion so far is based on Book 1 and Book 1.5.

Lily

Eustacia Tan said...

You're not alone(: I finished The Iron King recently, and while I thought it was a nice book, I wasn't blown away either. I don't feel like looking for the rest of the series.....

Elisa said...

Ok, finally, someone tempers the hype! I quite like the fairy stuff and I will eventually get my hands on these. But I think if I read them thinking they are the next best things to sliced bread, I will be disappointed.
Lovely review! I might have to read them just for the talking cat :)

Emily said...

I'm glad you like it. There's just something about the series I just can't connect with.

Emily said...

Ah ha. I knew I couldn't be the only one. I'm not sure i will carry on the series either.

Emily said...

The talking cats the best part :)

Not having high expectations is wise. My expectations are probably why I was so disappointed.

Post a Comment

Hey there, let me know what you think of my post, I try to reply every comment I get so do check back.

Note: This blog is an award free zone, you commenting and following is reward enough!

Blog contents © Confessions Of A Bookaholic 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.