Die For Me By Amy Plum

Sunday 27 January 2013

Die for Me (Revenants, #1)Series: Revenants #1
Genre: Young Adult, Paranormal
Release Date: May 5th 2011
Source: Bought
Overall Rating: 4.5/5 Stars
Cover Rating: 3/5 Stars
Synopsis: My life had always been blissfully, wonderfully normal. But it only took one moment to change everything. Suddenly, my sister, Georgia, and I were moving to Paris to live with my grandparents. And I knew my life would never feel normal again. Then I met Vincent. Mysterious, sexy, and unnervingly charming, he put me in danger of losing my heart all over again. But I was ready to let it happen . . . until I realized that Vincent Delacroix is no normal human - that he has a terrifying destiny and enemies who are determined to destroy him and all of his kind. Can I risk everything for love?

My first impressions of this book were that it was going to be totally cliche, I mean the synopsis couldn't sound more like a drug for Twilight withdrawal symptoms. Was I wrong? YES! I really enjoyed this book, it was equal parts suspense, romance and entertainment and isn't that an awesome combination? The book follows Kate Mercier, who moves to Paris after her parents are tragically killed. You see why I thought it was going to be cliche? Rule number one of the YA handbook states you must kill of at least one parent or have the main character move away from them. But from then on the originality factor of Die For Me went through the roof. When Kate meets Vincent in a cafe her life is going to change forever because being with Vincent means huge sacrifices - on both sides.

At first I really didn't like Kate but she grew on me as the story went on, she had the 'normal' vibe which is rare. Normally the heroine has to be 'Special' in some way whether it is special powers or beauty - YA handbook rule two - but Kate is just normal and I like it. I really liked Vincent from the start, he has the typical self sacrificial attitude but it suited him. Although I'm looking forward to seeing both of these characters in the next book, I found the secondary characters just as interesting. I loved Kate's relationship with her sister Georgia - which goes against rule three - the heroine must not have any other important people in her life other than the love interest and existing relationships will fade away over the course of the book cos who needs 'em when you have a hot, mysterious guy? Vincent's best friend Jules was very intriguing and the perfect candidate for rule four - the hero/heroine must have a 'hot', charismatic, best friend who will develop an undying love for the heroine but ultimately end up with someone else (Note that is just a guess since I haven't read the next book yet so do not take it as a spoiler ).

Overall the best things about this book was it's characters, effortless writing and of course it's ability to take every rule that I just made up and spin it on it's head. I loved the setting of the book, Paris is a gorgeous place as it is but add the amazing characters and a sprinkle of Amy Plum's exquisite writing and you have the perfect recipe for an amazing book that will keep readers up until the early hours just to see what was going to happen next - personal experience. And anyone interested in reading the YA handbook will be happy to know that I just this second decided that I am going to write it up and after a quick Google search I've seen it doesn't actually exist so I wouldn't be breaking any copyrights or anything. So lookout for it!

My Favorite Quote:
“Well, spit on my empty grave--if it ain't the attack of the Disney princesses!”

Email me at: confessionsofabookaholic@LIVE.CO.UK

1 People dared to comment.:

Elisa said...

Awesome! I have this book on my TBR and was going to read it soon. I am happy to hear that it will be a bit different than the YA norm :) I am now excited to read it

Post a Comment

Hey there, let me know what you think of my post, I try to reply every comment I get so do check back.

Note: This blog is an award free zone, you commenting and following is reward enough!

Blog contents © Confessions Of A Bookaholic 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.