Game Of Thrones By George R. R. Martin

Saturday 3 August 2013

13496Series: A Song of Ice and Fire #1
Genre: Adult, Epic Fantasy
Release Date: 1996
Source: Bought
Overall Rating: 5/5 Stars
Cover Rating: 1/5 Stars
Synopsis: Summers span decades. Winter can last a lifetime. And the struggle for the Iron Throne has begun. As Warden of the north, Lord Eddard Stark counts it a curse when King Robert bestows on him the office of the Hand. His honour weighs him down at court where a true man does what he will, not what he must … and a dead enemy is a thing of beauty. The old gods have no power in the south, Stark’s family is split and there is treachery at court. Worse, the vengeance-mad heir of the deposed Dragon King has grown to maturity in exile in the Free Cities. He claims the Iron Throne.

First Line: '"We should start back," Gared urged as the woods began to grow dark around them.'

I doubt there are many people in the world who haven't heard of A Game of Thrones left after the huge success of the television series but to tell you the truth, it just didn't sound like something that I would enjoy reading. I got the book ages ago but never read it until recently for no reason other than the fact that no one likes to be left behind in the hype. So needless to say, my expectations were not all that high on starting this book. Due to the sheer size of the book I presumed it would start slow but I was very wrong. From the first page the action begins and it keeps that pace through the entire book. The plot was smooth and a lot more together than I thought it would be, add to that the flawless character development and you have the perfect concoction for a five star book.

I wasn't kidding when I said the characters were flawless, I always say its a sign of an amazing author when they can make you like and sympathise with the villains and Martin sure has it. There are way to many characters to talk about them all but I will discuss a few. Firstly, one of my favourites, Tyrion Lannister. I found his sections the most entertaining and liked his character far better than the rest of the Lannister's no matter how intriguing that family is. Another favourite of mine was Daenerys Targaryen, the growth of her character throughout the book was astounding. I loved how she went from a weak little girl to an independent strong willed woman. As much as I want to go on about the characters, I'm afraid that because of the constant drama it would be almost impossible for me to do so without spoilers so you'll just have to find out for yourself.

The world building was one of the most convincing I've ever read - the book itself read like Martin was recounting real events instead of fiction - yes that's how good it was. I believe this book is not nearly as appreciated as it should be, with many opting just to watch the TV series. I for one suggest you read the books first in order to get the background because it seemed to me that the series would've been slightly confusing if hadn't. I'd recommend this book to fantasy lover and those, like me, who just want to test the hype.

My Favourite Quotes:

“A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge.” 

“Bran thought about it. 'Can a man still be brave if he's afraid?'
'That is the only time a man can be brave,' his father told him.” 

“There is only one god and his name is Death. And there is only one thing we say to Death: “Not today.” 

0 People dared to comment.:

Post a Comment

Hey there, let me know what you think of my post, I try to reply every comment I get so do check back.

Note: This blog is an award free zone, you commenting and following is reward enough!

Blog contents © Confessions Of A Bookaholic 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.