Percy Jackson And The Lightning Thief

Wednesday 7 August 2013

893172Series: Percy Jackson and the Olympians #1
Genre: Young Adult, Greek Mythology
Release Date: June 1st 2005
Source: Bought
Overall Rating: 3.5/5 Stars
Cover Rating: 2/5 Stars
Synopsis: Percy Jackson is about to be kicked out of boarding school... again. And that's the least of his troubles. Lately, mythological monsters and the gods of Mount Olympus seem to be walking straight out of the pages of Percy's Greek mythology textbook and into his life. And worse, he's angered a few of them. Zeus' master lightning bolt has been stolen, and Percy is the prime suspect. Now Percy and his friends have just ten days to find and return Zeus' stolen property and bring peace to a warring Mount Olympus. But to succeed on his quest, Percy will have to do more than catch the true thief: he must come to terms with the father who abandoned him; solve the riddle of the Oracle, which warns him of betrayal by a friend; and unravel a treachery more powerful than the gods themselves.

First Line: "Look, I didn't want to be a half-blood"


Okay, I know I'm probably a bit over the age that this book is aimed at but after very high praise from some of my friends I absolutely had to try it. I am a huge fan of Greek mythology but I have found, in a lot of books I've read on the subject, they just don't get it right. I don't mean the myths are wrong but there was always something off. Although this book isn't the best I've read, I found the use of myth very entertaining - I do find it strange that one of the only mythology books I've liked is aimed towards nine year olds though. The book follows recently discovered demi-god who must find and return Zeus' lightning bolt before war breaks out among the gods.

I did enjoy all of the characters but I didn't really find them remarkable. Percy was entertaining but slightly boring, Grover was loyal but again boring. I did really like Annabeth though because, as well as having an awesome name, she was fierce and lethal and I like that. The gods though were quite interesting as I enjoy seeing different interpretations of them. In this book they seemed intriguing but we didn't see nearly enough of them. I hope to see more of the gods in the next book so I can properly make up my mind about them.

Overall, the book was highly enjoyable and entertaining but it wasn't spectacular. I will definitely keep reading the series for the fun of it but if you're looking for a book that'll knock your socks off then perhaps this isn't the one for you. Unless you're nine years old like its meant for, in which case it may well b the best book you've ever read - I hadn't read anything like it when I was that age, that's for sure. I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a quick, light read or those who want to read an alternate interpretation of some Greek myths. This book is already a film and I can truly say the film isn't half as good as the book is.

My Favourite Quote: 
“If my life is going to mean anything, I have to live it myself.” 

3 People dared to comment.:

Ashna Sharma said...

Nice review, I love the Percy Jackson series! Keep reading it, trust me, you will love it. Try the heroes of Olympus series too, I find it better than Percy Jackson. :)

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for this wonderful review. I just love your blog. Underrated Books

Unknown said...

Percy Jackson is one of my all time fav series. You are not overage for this book. This amazing book is for every person out there. You are right, the gods were very interesting and entertaining. Nice review

Post a Comment

Hey there, let me know what you think of my post, I try to reply every comment I get so do check back.

Note: This blog is an award free zone, you commenting and following is reward enough!

Blog contents © Confessions Of A Bookaholic 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.